Rear end gearing (REAL LONG)

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 13:04:40 EST

I got the 5spd and I was thinking about changing my 3.55 rear end gear ratio.
I know what you're all going to say, "go 4.10's" but I was thinking it might
be better to actually go to 3.21's. Right now my first gear goes through
25mph and 2nd doesn't even hit 50. I thought that maybe my 60' times would
improve with a lower ratio because I won't have to make that 1-2 shift so
early. I know all about torque multiplication and that 4.10's would give me
the most, but at the same time a lower ratio would let me use a lower gear
for a longer period of time, which is in effect sort of like torque
multiplication. The guys with the autos wind their first gear out to about
40-50 before shifting to second (auto guys correct me if I'm wrong) which is
good in my book. 4.10's, a supercharger, and a lead foot would lead me to
believe that my first and second gear would just be a sulfur smelling, rubber
burning, time wasting mess and would hurt my times.

With all that said and done, lemme know what you all think.

-Austin
Vipertruck