Re: Car Amp Specs/Help...Long

From: Dan Jones (amishpimp93@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 14:17:59 EST

A 50x4 would be good, just to have a little extra power. You can always
keep you volume down but when you turn it up for a little bit, it would be
good to still have some more power left in the amp for a clear sound. Some
4 channel amps that i have found that have good sound are MTX's and
Alpine's. MTX's are a little bit expensive but they have a good signal to
noise ratio er db of 110. The higher the db, the better for clear sound but
they have a high distortion rate of .1% thats pretty dang high. I could
tell a difference when i put in a Power Acoustik and those amps vary of 94
to 98 db but they have a REAL low distortion rate of .01%. Ebay has some
good prices on mtx stuff and Power Acoustiks.
     As for the wiring, the most important thing is the gauge size (AWG) of
the wire for + and -. The positive and negatives should be the same size of
wire. What Amperage is the amp your lookin at? Say 30 amps. You should
have somewhere of a 6 to 8 AWG wire running to the amp. If you are going to
use another amp, the wire should be 4 awg. Always use an inline fuse and
make sure its not more than 18 inches away from the battery. When grounding
it, the wire should be the same size and it should be short as possible.
You want to ground it to the body part of the truck, the metal part. If
thiers paint, scratch it away for better connection and use a star washer.
For the RCA lines, you want to use the best possible. Poor RCA cables can
reduce the voltage comming from your radio by half a volt. This leads to
lower input signal.
     Well i hope some of this might help you out. Hope i wasn't a school
teacher tellin stuff you already know, heh. Good luck with the installation
of things.
  Dan