Re[2]: IFS vs.live axle

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 07:22:14 EST

I thought the whole reason manufacturers went with IFS was better handling and
a smoother ride in street/rough road applications? From a more practical
perspective, the only reason I wish my Kota had a live front axle is that it
would be easier and cheaper to do mods like suspension lifts and such. Add to
that the strength and simplicity of a solid axle and I'd probably opt for it
over IFS for a rig I planned to take off-road.

It's kind of a mute point for me though... While my truck is competent
off-road (even in stock trim) it's just too dern big to fit and turn on a lot
of the trails I used to drive with my Jeep. So I'll keep the IFS and just
enjoy the smoother ride! :-)
My $.02
Tom