RE: Re: 4.7 Owners Please Check this

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 13:46:15 EST

OK, just to add a little more water to the fire....

Do we all remember "Basic Mechanics 101"? You know, the part where they
talk about condensation building up inside the motor, and that you *really*
need to get the motor warmed up and get the oil warmed up to thoroughly get
rid of that condensation?

This is why vehicles that take mostly short trips (<5 miles) have engines
that give up the ghost a lot quicker. They don't fully "burn out" the
condensation (or water vapor), thus leading to sludge build-up in the oil
pan. The guys that have to drive 10+ miles to work every day (highway, not
stop-n-go) will inherently have the longest lasting engines.

What does this mean? In practicality, it probably means those of you with
4.7L engines will probably have to drive 15 miles to burn out the water as
opposed to the 10 miles for us 5.2L guys (I just pulled those numbers out of
my butt to make an illustration, btw).

Question: For those of you who have a lot of sludge build-up in your filler
tube, do you make mostly short trips around town? For those of you with no
sludge build-up, what is your average length of trip? Maybe we can figure
out how far you have to drive before that H2O gets burned up......

--
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate