Re: --->Best Cat-Back Exhaust for '98 3.9L V6?

From: Michael Sykes (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 17:00:49 EST

>>Have a '98 Dak 3.9 4x4 and looking to replace the exhaust with a cat-back performance model. Any Dak owners out there able to shed any light/advice on this choice? How is the Performance Mopar unit? What is the price I should expect to pay? Where should I buy it? Are other units better? All replies appreciated.<<<

well, you can go one of two ways about this. You can order a complete cat-back that has all the pipes and all the stuff you need for a pretty good chunk of change (200-300 beans). You can go with anything from a Dynomax system which isn't all that espensive, to a Borla or Gibson system that is in the upper $300 range. It's all about the sound you want. In my personal experience with exhaust, avoid a system with 3" diameter pipes on a V6 because you will lose low end torque... a lot of it... The pricier systems tend to be stainless and last a loittle longer... it's up to you! =)

now, another way you can go is to just get a performance muffler and have it bolted to your existing system. You'll save money that way.

-mike d.

88 6er with Slush-o-matic and 3.55 one-legged rear,
lowered, modded, and painted =)

http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html