Long reply to the 4.7/45RE bashing....

From: Donny M Hayes (donny_m_hayes@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 19:28:56 EST

I don't mean to start a flame war, although I'm sure
that is what will happen from this...but did you not
test drive your new truck before buying it? I mean it
isn't like Dodge sold you a 318/46RE and then somehow
tricked you into buying the 4.7/45...

Did you not notice that the torque curve is much
different than the old engine? Did you not notice the
difference in transmissions? And as for going buy a
GM/Chevy/Tundra...my dad and a neighbor bought new 99
chevy's...too bad they put the trans fluid line too
close to the exhaust and it melted, poured all of the
fluid out and burned up the trans(less than 5000 miles
on either)...guess they aren't perfect either.

I mean what I'm saying is THIS IS A NEW
ENGINE...expect some unknowns....and remember it took
about 30 years to get the 318 to its current state of
being.

As for why they are replacing the tried and true
318...blame your lovely little tree hugging
EPA...Dodge (along with Ford,GM,etc) are being FORCED
to downsize their engines to meet FEDERALLY MANDATED
corporate mpg ratings. While the 4.7 is only slightly
better than the 318 in mpg...over the course of
thousands of trucks it makes a huge difference.

Finally as to the 46RE...I drive one...it is a huge
slushbox...the amount of power lost to this thing is
pitiful. If you want to drive a real auto, drive a
Z28 or TransAm...those autos are crisp and quick
shifting. And as for the 'foreign' thing...Daimler
engineers put one of their 'foreign' autos in a fully
stock 300M...dropped a full second off 0-60 just by
reducing drivetrain losses.

Again, don't mean to start anything, but some of this
is strictly subjective...it is according to how you
look at things...buy a Tundra...then compare to your
92...I bet you'll still find things about your old
truck you liked better.

DMH