Intermittent trans problems! (kinda long)

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 04:57:46 EST

Hi everyone. Looks like I get to put the DML to use for the first time.
Anyway, I was driving my Dak today on the expressway, and after passing an
18-wheeler - my transmission refused to shift back into overdrive. This is
the 2nd time this has happened. I pulled over and shut the vehicle off for
about 5 mins (I've had problems of this sort with Chrysler A-604's in the
past) and the Dak still refused to shift into overdrive, it was revving
nearly 3,000 rpm going 65. The weather here lately has been hovering
around -20 farenheit (yes, that's 20 below 0, without the wind chill
factor...) I realize that overdrive is locked out when the engine coolant
temperature is below the 'normal' range - but both times that I lost
overdrive, the engine was at normal operating temperature. The "check
engine" and "O/D off" lights were not illuminated at any time while
experiencing this problem. After sitting for about 2 hours, I took the Dak
for a spin, and the overdrive seems to work now. I checked the ATF level
after driving it, it still looked new (not brown or stinky) and was
registering at the proper level on the dipstick. I STILL love my Dak more
than any 4x4 I've owned (except maybe my 94 XJ Jeep), I just need to get all
the problems I've had with it worked out... Anyway, I really hate going to
the dealership here in Fairbanks, AK for service (experiences with the other
unsolved problems) - so if anyone had any ideas of things I could check on
my own, I would greatly appreciate it!

Oh yeah, my truck is a 1999 Dak CC, 5.2 auto (44-RE) with 3.55 LSD, 31"
tires and approx 16,200 miles.

Thanks in advance!

-Darren Asuncion
dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com