Re: Intermittent trans problems! (kinda long)

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 14:29:48 EST

>From what I understand there are only two "non-throttle/load/speed" conditions
(assuming everything is working right) where O/D should not engage or should
dis-engage. One is when the tranny temp. is too hot and the other when it is
too cold. I don't think you have to worry about the too hot scenario. ;-)

There is a thermometer of sorts in the tranny which "talks" to the PCM to
activate O/D, so the operative temp. is *not* the engine temp. gauge on the
dash. In my FSM it says the tranny temp. has got to be above 50 deg. F to
activate the O/D system.

I really dunno, but highway speeds at -20 --I wonder if the tranny can get
above 50 deg? I figure a lot of starts, stops and relatively low speed driving
before getting on the highway would warm it up enough but once on the highway
it may get chilled right down below 50? Anybody know how to easily rig up a
tranny temp gauge to find out?

When this happened the first time was it wicked cold out too?
Tom