Re: Fuel pump -kyle-

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 1999 - 18:22:48 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: <Rcpilot000@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 1999 4:57 PM
Subject: DML: Fuel pump -kyle-

> Kyle,
> I think it is the fuel pump. When it died I was on the interstate. I did
not get >any codes and I have tested all of my sensors. Upon further
inspection I found >the schrader valve on the fuel rail and opened it to
see if there was any >ressure. No fuel came out of the valve only what
sounded like a vacuum. So I >ested the 20A fuse and the fuel pump relay.
they all tested good. I cannot >ear a buzzing from the tank and I don't
remember ever hearing one. When I >anually prime the engine it will start
and quickly die so it must be the fuel >ump. $145 is a lot better than
$300 or $400. But did you say that the $145 >rom NAPA were Carter? I don't
want to replace it again in another 50k >ecause with my luck the only time
fuel pumps go out in my trucks is a mile >own the road after I filled up!

Wes,
Good idea to check the valve for pressure, when mine pump(s) went, I also
checked this; no gas ever spurted out. Good to also look for any blown fuses
or relays. The hum of the pump is a good way to check it, and if it's not,
then it has probably died. Yes, the $145 one from Napa was a Carter. Not
sure how different the Ram's pumps are compared to the Dakotas, so you might
be able to find pump other than one made by Carter. Just start calling
around to every and any auto parts store in your area, be sure ask them who
makes the pump and what warranty comes with it. Some places just offered a
30 day warranty while others offered a 1year warranty, all for the same
part. One trick to do if your pump ever 'dies' at an bad spot, is to beat on
the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet; I did this one time in the
middle of the woods when I was hunting and thankfully the pump had one last
hum left in it to get me home! If you need anything else, just ask.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6