Re: Header and ignition Questions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 10:10:39 EST

At 06:20 PM 12/12/99 PST, you wrote:
>I'm going to try to fix this ping myself. I've seen that a set of headers
>and an ignition system work. Ok.... whats a good set of headers to get?

Erika, I have never heard of headers being one of the major fixes (permanent
or temporary) of pinging. In theory, I suppose it may help but, IMHO,
it's an awfully expensive trial and error way. I would not personally
put on headers just to try to get rid of pinging problems.

>I've heard that MSD and Jacobs are not good ignition systems. I don't know.
>I just want something thats going to make it stop pinging. So, is MSD good
>to use? Or is it crap like someone told me? Do I just get the ignition
>system or should I get other parts too? Thanks everyone!

I went into the archives to see if there were details on your pinging problem
and went to your site to read all the problems that you experienced with
your truck ... I don't blame you for wanting to rid of the Dakota.

It seems clear that the dealership has tried almost everything that's been
mentioned on this list without success and has finally concluded that timing
is the problem. I have not had any experience with the aftermarket ignition
systems but they do have the capability of retarding the timing to a certain
degree.

The posts on the MSD unit were about no improvement realized on ETs on the
track.
This does not make them bad for the streets. As a matter of fact, those that
use them on the track are because they are running NO or a supercharger and
they have to retard timing to eliminate detonation and pinging problems.

Can you tell me if you are getting the pinging problem after a cold start
or only after the truck has reached operating temperature? Can you tell me
what the spark plugs look like (wet/dry, colour, deposits)? Can you run
the truck at night (no lights around) and peek under the hood to see if
there is a light show going on?

Clearly, we do not have the whatever to find the cause(s) of the problem
but may be able to come up with some inexpensive suggestions which will
temporarily make the problem go away until the reprogrammed computer comes
out.

Right now, with what I know about your truck, I would put in the 180 tstat and
see if that helps. If not, I would replace the plugs with Autolite 3923 (one
range colder than normal) plugs. Answers to the above would be helpful.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.