Re: 99 5.2L HEADS

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 11:46:34 EST

At 09:32 PM 12/1/99 +0600, you wrote:
>1. What can I do with my heads...are they alloy or steel. I have
>untethered access to a machine shop, friends Dad owns one and will do the
>work for me fer free. (woo hoo)

Mopar Performance has a set of templates for porting these cast iron heads.
Don't go overboard on the intake side as it'll cost low end torque.

>2. Mopar webpage sucks. Anyone have the part number for the SBEC computer
>for my 99 Dodge 5.2L? Aprox cost? (I dont have access to a parts center
being
>overseas)

I don't think that MP has released the '99 computers for the Dakotas as yet
... at least I haven't heard of it.

>3. I have the 15" rims on my dak, I want to go to 17's if at all possible.
>Any bad points/good points to doing so?

The R/Ts run with 17" rims. Just need to make sure that backspacing is aok.
May have to use fender flares even if backspacing is aok.
Good points = more selection of low profile performance tires at this size
Bad points = cost for both the rims and the tires

>4. <snip>

>5. Is a Super Charger "really" worth the money?

I personally have a hard time even 'rationalizing' the cost with the
performance
gains. It seems the ATI ProChargers may give the best gain in performance
especially with their intercooler option but a very expensive package. Also,
would have to consider the cost for retarding the timing ... either via an
aftermarket ignition system or reprogramming of the computer ... and beefing
up the tranny and rear differiential.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.