Filler tube over-reaction??

From: Frank Johnson (frankwjohnson@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 15:55:39 EST

Well, i live in Windsor, Ontario which has a very high percent humidity
almost all the time. It's been hovering just above freezing for the past 2
weeks. And i've put about 1500 miles on the Dak in about a month of owning
it.
I checked the filler tube on this past Sunday and they only thing i could
see was a very thin ring of yellowy grease/sludge/oil. I doubt very highly
that this small amout of foreign material could possibly do any damage to my
engine.
>From all the posts the amount of sludge seems to be much worse from some of
you folks out there, but mine is not a concern to me.
And given the fact that i live in a high-humidity area, i don't see why
ohers in drier regions of the continent would have more water vapour in
their filler tubes????
So are those of you that are getting ready to go out and spend your own
money and fix this problem, are you paranoid about damaging the engine or
does there really appear to be a large enough buildup to hurt the motor?

Frank WJ