Re: Perma-Cool fans

From: N2mopars@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 20:18:47 EST

In a message dated 12/14/99 12:08:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com writes:

<< s anybody out there using Perma-Cool electric fans?? I
 found this site:
 http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page16.html
 and noticed that their "specs" seemed a little better than
 the Flex-a-lite fans (by the way, thanks again GS).

 They show a Turbo-Flex 12" fan that if you used two, would
 move more air Vs. the Flex-a-lite 220. The Perma Cool 12"
 (model 19008) moves 1650 cfm (3300 for 2) @2400 rpm and
 only draws 7.5 amps.
 The Flex-a-Lite moves 2500 (for both) cfm and draws about
 20 amps.

 The extra 800 cfm and 5 less amps seems pretty good. The
 only draw back I can see is that it has a mounting depth of
 3 3/4" compared to 2 1/4". Would there be enough clearance
 for these to fit??

Mine fits perfect on my 96, and the truck runs very, very cool. I have a 180
degree thermosatat and water wetter. It never goes past the second line on
the gauge. I used the adjustable fan switch and its set at 180 degrees.
Only problem I have had was the roll pin that secures the fan to the shaft
came out. Never overheated, the fan some how would still spin enough to keep
the truck cool, plus I never se much traffic. I replaced the roll pin and
everything is fine. I use the Summit part number PRM-19115. Its a single
aluminum fan, pulls 2100-2950 cfm, is under $90, and very easy to install.
The wiring kit with the adjustable thermostat (part number PRM-19005) is
another $46. They say to use it without a fan shroud, which I do, but you
will have to cut the stock shroud on the passenger side so you have a place
to mount your overflow bottle. Otherwise, fabricate a new mount.

Brad