Re[3]: Time is Short to Save Off-Road Trails!

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 18:59:29 EST

I haven't seen the exact legislation either, but what I've
heard here in Nevada is that it will designate existing
areas that are available currently to all sorts of public
uses including wheel'n, to "Wilderness" status, effectively
limiting their uses to 'non-impact' activities. What I
don't know is if they are only looking at US Forest Service
lands for this designation or if they are going to include
BLM, Burea of Reclamation (WrecktheNation--always thought
that was a better title), etc. The way it stands now the
US Forest Service lands are the least accessible of all
public lands--I can state this for a fact as I worked a
couple summers back in Oregon for them doing road
assessments. Anyway, out West there is plenty of land to
go around (especially in Nevada) so as long as they don't
start designating BLM lands as wilderness, which are much
more accessible for recreational activities, I'm not going
to raise a big stink. As it stands now, the USFS lands are
essentially locked up; they're barely even cutting any
timber anymore. I don't think you'll notice too many trail
closures, as the USFS has never accepted that activity
anyway--at least I hope I'm not proven wrong. The
situation clearly sucks, but we are at a point in our
history where 'civilization' and its effects (generally
negative from "nature's" point of view) has reached to
almost every nook and cranny of the country--you'd be
amazed out how far people will drive out in the middle of
'nowhere' to dump their garbage--its just wrong. I support
the preservation of the stuff that is still essentially
still pristine, but I sure hope that a compromise is
reached and we don't start locking up everything. What's
the point of having it if I can't drive my Dak out into it
to see it and enjoy it? Support programs like Tread
Lightly, as that's our only hope to thwart the 'hard-core
greenies.' Sorry for being long winded--boring afternoon
at work.

Later,
JY
Vegas '98 4x4