RE: Re: New Dak Toy

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 21:02:40 EST

My GPS is a basic point to point type, but I've got waypoints
(people's homes, gas stations, etc.) stored that I've visited,
and can create routes to an from an area with the waypoints
along the way... For example, a recent DML outing with the
SoCal Durango people, we stopped on a peak, and I was given
the elevation (6700'), and I marked it as a waypoint in my GPS.
Now, I also know that the 'point' is exactly (+-1%) 200 miles line
of sight from my house.. WOO HOO!

Also, if you have it in 'track' mode, and decide (while offroading)
to 'turn around', you can use back track, and it will map a reverse
course from where you came. It is pretty handy, plus has all phases
of the moon, sunrise/sunset for you given location, your ground speed,
and other items. I plan on taking it on a flight in a few months, and
I'll actually be able to see how fast we are traveling... Plus it'll give
ETA at current speed (which is updated constantly).

Most noteable use for me so far: Marked 5-6 good fishing spots on the
Colorado
river, and when we head up river in the dark, I used the GPS to take us to
the first 'honey hole' of the day... Put me within 25' of where we were
from a year before.

Get a newer one (Garmin Street Pilot), with automatic routing on streets,
maps
etc, and you'll find an excuse to use it!

Sam '00 RT