RE: Re: New Dak Toy

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 21:02:43 EST

        Take a look at the newer Garmin line of GPS's, and you might change your
mind.
Older GPS's weren't able to up 12 satelites at once, only 3... Those units
had their limitations. My low end Magellan, with no maps, but a 12 sat.
receiver,
gets a lock inside my house!!! Newer GPS's have moving maps, that are
usually within
50' accuracy... with streets/landmarks/automatic door-door routing
capabilities.

> IMO, a GPS is a nice supplement to a map & compass to help you figure
> out just where you are, but unless you're in a featureless area (like,
> say, Death Valley) it's only a couple minutes' work to triangulate your
> position w/o the GPS.

It also works well in offroading adventures, and you want to know the
shortest
route to a paved street or town... The 'goto' function on most GPS's will
take you to
a choice of the 12-24 nearest landmarks, towns, cities, roads, etc...
Something a map
and a compass will take a little bit of work to do (but do'able none the
less).

> I've tinkered with GPS units a few times, but I haven't found anything
> to convince me to buy one when I have a decent map & compass.

Imagine now having to buy anymore maps... Merely download the map of your
choice into
the GPS (topo, roads, etc.)... Especially helpful when FWY's get added (or
move).

Sam '00 RT