Re: Lift blocks.

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 17:09:38 EST

> Has anyone ever heard of breaking a 2" lift block in half? This is the
> kind that goes between the axle and the springs. One of mine broke on me
> last night, and then spit it out. Due to the fact that the other side
> still had lift in it, I couldn't get the center pin to line up, leaving
> the axle to move around. After tieing the axle to the spring, I had a
> rather interesting drive home! I was just wondering if anyone else has
> heard of this happening, and what could have caused it. The only thing I
> can think of is that the block was defective. I just used the cheap $20
> kit. Anyone have any recommendations for a good brand of blocks? I
>would like to get my truck mobile soon because of X-mas trips.

This really should never happen, depending of course what the lift block was
made of. Was is a manufactured lift block or was a 'homebrew' lift block????
I know most lift blocks out there, manufactured by larger companies(like
TrailMaster), have a minimun crush proof strength of atleast 70,000 PSI.
These are made of cast iron, and are tough, really tough to break. Even the
die cast aluminum lift blocks have a crush proof rating of 45,000 PSI. Did
you make the blocks or did you buy them? If you bought them, tell me about
them, how much were they, and where did you get them. I have searched and
have come up short finding them. Good Luck, hope you dont limp on one lift
block too long!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6
MSD 6-Offroad Ignition, MSD Universal Wiring Harness, MSD 8.5MM Super
Conductors, Accel Super Coil, Borg Warner Select Brass Cap/Rotor, Autolite
Copper Plugs(.050), Amsoil 2Stage Air Filter, Redline Watter Wetter,
Magellan 315 GPS, Cobra CB(8W), Firestik II Antenna with SS Quick
Disconnect, Pioneer DEH45DH, Pioneer 6.5" 2way Speakers, Pioneer 5x7" 3way
Speakers, Rhino Liner(double coated), Rancho RS5000's with Urethane
Bushings, Grill Brush Guard, Hella 500 6" Round Driving Lights, Hella XL Low
Beams, Tinted Windows All Around, Vent-Visors, Overhead Console, Tool
Box(Full Of Recovery Gear/Tools), Hidden Hitch Class III, Amsoil in
Front/Rear Diffs and in the NP321 Transfer Case