Re: Clarion Car Audio

From: kwjohn@mindspring.com
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 01:09:25 EST

I'll have to agree with Dester on that one.

If you read head unit reviews (in car audio magazines) pay attention to
the output voltage with <.3% distortion; the higher the number, the
better sounding (and more resistant to interference-type noise). Most
of the cheaper units (and unfortunately some of the "high-end" units
from folks like Nakamichi and McIntosh) are good to 2 or 2.5 volts.
Some of the "high output" variants are at 4 volts, which is a serious
step in the right direction. (includes Sony MobileES, Pioneer's Premier
line, several different Alpines, and Clarion's ProAudio line)

The best of the breed (which includes the old Alpine 7909, three older
Eclipse models, and the Rockford Fosgate 8340c) are as high as 9 volts!
(5.5v, 4.5-7v, and 9v, respectively) Also notable is that all of these
units very "efficient" on features and don't provide a built-in
amplifier.

Kurt