RE: Lowering a Truck is Stupid??

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 19:34:36 EST

Uhhhh...this "Redneck" has taken turns in his old '76 Camaro (Vette Products
Mono-Leaf Suspension) that would make a lowered truck cringe. Handling was
rated (and tested) at .98g's.

That's why the suspension systems that are specifically designed for Offroad
(Raised) or RaceTrack (Lowered) are just that...SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED. They
may lower, or raise the vehicle, but a proper setup will not change the
geometry.

Lowering or Raising a truck/car with just heater or cut springs...or Blocks
and spacers isn't the correct way at all and seriously screws up the
geometry. So do the incorrect rims that stick out of the wheel-wells more
than 5-6 inches...idiots who think it's "Cool Looking" are seriously
mis-informed. Lowering or raising a vehicle DOES change the Center of
Gravity...but if you know what the limit is...you can drive it almost
anywhere.

Fabtech, Rancho, ProComp, Western Chassis, and all the rest of the "Big
Hitters" in the industry have a lot of research time behind the suspension
kits. Don't knock'em until you try them.

$0.02

- Bernd