Re: Clarion Car Audio

From: Mike D. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 03:19:43 EST

good call!

Actually, the CD player sounds fine, but skips like a bitch! I think the
dude who re-installed it halfassed the install and tis' not securely
seated and bounces around... it's the radio that sounds bad.... maybe the
antenna isn't connected all the way? hhmm... off to circuit city again...

-mike d.

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:38:32 -0600 kwjohn@mindspring.com writes:
> I can't say that Alpine is "the best" ('cause I own and like some of
> the
> Sony MobileES gear), but the problems you're now experiencing have
> absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the Alpine, and
> EVERYTHING
> to do with the experience of the tech that worked on your unit.
>
> The tech had to have opened the unit to put his test leads into the
> system, and somewhere in there the laser transport is now out of
> alignment.
>
> The player's software is trying to track the bitstream on the CD
> surface, and THINKS it needs to move the transport a preset amount
> to do
> so, except when things are out of alignment the tracking won't move
> the
> same distance/direction. Hence, the player reads and re-reads the
> tracks until it thinks it gets something useful, and while it does
> that
> you're hearing the skipping. The "digital noise" might be the D/A
> converter going into histerysis due to a surrounding capacitor or
> resistor that gone marginal on it's specs. (which is likely what
> the
> tech would have been looking for)
>
> Contact Alpine's Customer Support and get it repaired by them. I
> also
> have the 783x family player for a little over 2 years, and I've had
> no
> problems with mine, so it's not a universal "Alpine sucks" problem.
>
> Kurt
>

> "Mike D." wrote:
> >
> > I haven't owned a clarion, but I think my next unit will be
> Clarion or
> > Eclipse. I have an Alpine now. It's my second Alpine and I'm
> really
> > disappointed. My first Alpine bit the dust after a year and a half
> of use
> > (CD laser quit), and now my new one (7832) is only 2 years old and
> is
> > acting up. I had it in the shop (circuit city) because it just
> wouldn't
> > play CD's. The problem was intermitten.. all I would get was
> digital
> > distortion. So, circuit city has it for 2 weeks, says they can't
> find the
> > problem, and give it back. Now, it skips like hell, some CD's
> won't even
> > play cuz' all they do is skip, and it just don't sound as good as
> it used
> > to. I'm VERY picky as to my audio quality because I am an Audio
> Engineer,
> > and listen to most of my music on $15k studio monitors. Man, I
> thought
> > Alpine was he best... guess not =(
> >
> > -mike d.
> >
> > miggitymike@juno.com
> > 88 6er with Slush-o-matic and 3.55 one-legged rear,
> > lowered, modded, and painted =)

---> Yorktown, Va.
miggitymike@juno.com
88 6er LE, lowered, modded, and painted =)

http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html