RE:Computer Change re Tire Size

From: Ned Buckmaster (Ned@Buckmaster.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 07:22:13 EST

Not having a Power Programmer III myself, this is how I _think_ it works.

It is not a replacement chip - it is a device that connects to your OBDC
port and updates the programming in your truck's computer. One thing it does
is replace the open-loop fuel/timing map that controls your engine whenever
you go to full throttle. I don't know if there is more than one map you can
install - if not, then you will probably have to go to premium gas to use
the new map. Hypertech says it will give you more HP and torque - how much
and where I don't know. It can also change the speed limiter, and adjust
your speedometer. On GMs, it works by first downloading and storing the
original factory programming, then uploading the new programming. That way,
if you want (like when you go in for warrant service) you can reinstall the
original programming. Also, I think they will only update _one_ truck - you
can't used one PP to update everyone's truck.

I'm not sure how it would handle trying to re-update your own truck if the
dealer overwrote it's programming - but Hypertech has to handle this
somehow. Also, I'm not sure how you get updates from Hypertech - over the
net?

More info is available at http://www.hypertech-inc.com/agonline.html

I'm almost certain that your dealer can do what you want with the DRV scan
tool. It can also update your truck's computer with Dodge's latest code -
I'd make sure that was part of the $40 deal....

Brent said:

>I'd prefer not to buy something just to change tire size. I was hoping
that I could just change it myself >somehow. My Dodge dealer says they
MIGHT be able to do it (with their DRV scan tool???), but
he wouldn't know until he tried it. If he can do it, it will cost me $40
twice a year to switch back and forth between my smaller winter tires.

>That being said... what is the Hypertech chip worth? Will it cause me
problems with future warranty claims? Does Mopar have an "aftermarket" chip
that would give ME that capability as well? Do the
performance chips give much extra HP or torque in the 2000-3000 rpm range
(where it would help me for towing)?