Re: Things that goes clunk....

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 16:05:29 EST

> It MIGHT be the motor mounts, if one is broken or rotted it won't hold the
> engine on properly. It would clunk the first when you're totally off the
> gas, then slam your foot down. This is when the most difference in torque
> occurs so it twists the engine the most. Mind you this is just a guess.
You can >check by opening your hood and sitting in the driver's seat and
revving it in >park/neutral. If you see you engine lift on an angle, then
one of the mounts is >gone.

 Frank,
 Thanks for this input also. I will check this and the tranny mounts
tomorrow when changing the oil. I know the engine is mounted on the front
axle via 2 mounts utilizing hard rubber bushings. It will be very easy to
check for broken mounts when changing the oil tomorrow. I am assuming to
just check these 2 mounts for any visible signs of cracks/breaks? I will
also try to engine revving tips. Last time I checked them, they appeared to
be rather beefy and built really good out of 3/8"(atleast) steel plate, but
I will check them anyways. Thanks again,
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6