Re: Skid plate opinion - kinda long

From: Ohm347@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 20:17:08 EST

i would go with the upgraded skid plates. got them on my 98 cc4x4. i hit
roadwork where they had installed a culvert on a logging road right after a
blind corner once. the guy behind me said he saw three feet of daylight
under my truck(the road suddenly changed elevationtwo feet in about four
feet) as he was sliding to a halt. when i landed the suspension compressed
in the front right to the stops. i'm pretty sure i blew the porting in the
shocks wide open. the front end was bobbing all over the place after that
and i kept slamming the skid plates into every rock over four inches tall on
the way back. when i got the truck back into the city i had to tear the skid
plate off and beat it flat again. as well the aluminum front end had made
contact with the skidplate and was leaking fluid. had to crack the case and
file down the aluminum cast to get it to seal again. if i didn't have the
skid plates i probably would have had to replace the front end. get the
steel plates. the chances that you are going to get your truck airborn like
i did mine aren't high but then again i had no intentions to jump my truck
when i went out. this is my .02$ worth.
derek
98dakota sport+ cc 4x4 318 5spd