Skid plate opinion - kinda long

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 15:08:32 EST

   Hey there folks, I'm new to the list. I have a nice '00 CC DAK 4.7 5-Speed
4X4.
(Man, thats a mouthfull !! ) In searching to find one with the 4.7 AND a 5
speed I had to
settle for one without the skid plate group. In looking at them, the stock
group is some
kind of plastic. I'm sure it has it's benefits ... lighter, won't bend outa
shape if smacked...
But I'm kinda old-school.... Is a freakin plastic skid plate group worth a
rats patootie???
What are some of the opinions on the list of skid plates in general? I'll be
driving this
beast off-road in sunny Arizona, but I know it ain't no trail pounder. And as
long as I'm
payin' through the nose for the next 5 years for it I'll probably be a little
on the 'carefull'
side. Should I fore-go the skid plates? Should I try and find some nice
aftermarket
metal ones? I realize they can be a pain for maintenance down the road.
Any comments or opinions welcome. Thanks!!