Re: V6 Header Update

From: Geoffrey Hackbart (digum98@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 09:30:55 EST

Hey Steve,

> 1. Jig marks on the tubes:
>
> Said these were normal on short mandrel bent tubes.
> Said all headers
> had this and it was more noticeable on non-painted
> headers.
>
> Does everyone have these on the ones they received?

Yup, got these on mine. Didn't really notice them. I
saw them when I took the headers out of the box and
really didn't think anything of it.

> 2. Weld splatter in a couple of tubes:
>
> Said this could be knocked down with a dremel.
>
> Anyone else have splatter?

I don't think I had splatter on the outside. On the
inside of the tubes I did. I didn't think anything of
this either. I guess it is just bcs I was excited to
get these, it realy didn't bother me.

> 3. Weld grinds not smooth:
>
> Should be no problem as the actual exhaust port is
> smaller than the
> header port. Said the shape of the Dakota exhaust
> port, not round
> like Ford or square like Chevy, meant it had to be
> hand welded not
> machine done.
>
> Am I being overly concerned about this?

When I saw this, I was wondering about it, too. I
don't know how other headers looked, so I really
didn't know what to think. I figured it should be
smoothed, but since it isn't going to make my truck
run 15's in the 1/4 mile, I ain't gonna bother with
it, either. You could grind these openings down with a
dremel tool as well as above.(as far as I know)

> 4. CARB certificate only held on by one spot weld:
>
> Could return it for a replacement, or just have
> someone tack weld
> it.
>
> More trouble than it's worth, will have this done
> locally.
>
> All that said, and never having purchased headers
> before, am I being
> totally anal about this? Maybe I was expecting
> something more than is
> actually normal for headers? If you got this far
> thanks for your time.

If you want to return them and get another set, just
to be safe, then do so. I don't know if you wanna wait
another 2 wks for them.(if not longer) If ya want,
just try and use the dremel tool for the bad welding
problems above. Good luck to ya!

=====
Later,
Geoffrey