Re: Re:18 HOUR TOWING TRIP HELP!!!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 13:27:47 EST

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 ZeNel1eac1@aol.com wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> hope everyone is well. I need some tips and warnings. Here is my situation.
> I have never towed anything before and now in February I'm going to be towing
> a 20 foot boat from Long Island, NY to Atlanta Georgia. I'm going to try and
> make the trip in one shot with gas a pee breaks only. Any tips trick should
> and should not do's that anyone can think of to make this trip as safe as
> possible? Should I be in 4th gear the whole time or is fifth OK? etc etc.
> Help me out fellas. Thanks.

   If you want to keep this trip as safe as possible, you may want to
put some thought into breaking it into two 9 hour drives, and rest up
at a motel in-between. Driving for 18 hours straight is hard enough;
having that trailer behind you will only make it harder, especially if
its windy at all. Not to mention the snow and ice you may run into.
You'll want to be even more alert than usual with that trailer behind
you, driving for 18 hours might be asking for trouble. Alternatively,
you could bring along another driver and take turns...

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |