Backfire Problem??

From: Paul K. Lonnquist (paul@dock.net)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 15:21:45 EST

OK DML experts...just got back from a 300 mile each way trip to Las Vegas
and experienced a strange phenomena both going and coming back. With no
preference to downhill, uphill, flatlands the truck let out with a muffled
"whump" sound from the exhaust area beneath or immediately behind the cab.
It happened 4 times going, twice coming back. I've had vehicles that
backfired before and it was usually a very loud "bang", this was very
muffled but quite noticeable even with the new Eclipse CD in the vehicle.
Any ideas I can present to the dealer when it goes in for it's first
checkup? Anybody else had something similar happen to them?

Oh yes...it's a 2K SLT+ CC, 4.7l, 3.55, <2000 miles, auto, GT classic tonneau

Thanks,

Paul
Newbury Park, CA