Re: abs/threshold braking

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 09:40:58 EST

>Good point! I don't see the logic in rear-wheel only ABS ( I have it on my
>Dak). I think some academic genius in the engineering department (spurred
>on by someone in the accounting department) probably said to him(her?)self,
>"Gee! A pickup is light in the tail.....That means when a panic stop
>occurs
>the weight shifts to the front making tail even lighter and therefore the
>rear would be the first to lock up...Gosh! Better put them on the rear!"
>But you're absolutely right about the fronts doing most of the work. You
>can't get around it really..gotta get 4-wheel ABS or forget it.

I think you're missing the point. Its not only dangerous to have the rears
lock up first, its illegal. Car companies cannot design a brake which
operates with the rear locking first. ABS in the rear allows you to have a
little more braking power out back but it cuts out in "lockup" type
situations. Granted, 4 wheel is better, but 2 wheel is good!

--
Dave