Re: Jack Points

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 13:00:58 EST

> I watched the TransGo shift-kit video and they instruct you to jack up the
>rear and front of the vehicle by placing a floor jack under the
differentials and
> lifting away. I thought this was an extreme no-no! Does everybody use the
>diffs to get the front-end or rear-end off the ground??

Tom,
I commonly use the rear differential on my Dak. To the lift the entire rear
off the ground, I place the jack under the pumpkin itself and lift the rear
end up and support the rear end on the axle tubes or on the rear frame.. If
I want to just jack one rear tire off the ground, I place the jack on the
axle tube, on either side of the pumkin, and jack the rear end up this way.
I have also used my Dak's hitch as a jacking point. As far as the front end
is concerned, I wouldnt use the diff here, just because it is IFS. If it was
a solid axle, then I would. I have this large(I mean large) front crossmemer
which the lower control arms are connected to, which sits just under and
behind the radiator. I always use this front jack point during oil changes
or brake work. I also may support the front end and actually have just sat
the entire front end on jack stands and not used a jack. The front end is
very easy to do and get to, as far as jacking purposes go. If I ever need to
jack up the Dak from the side, there is about 3-4 feet on each side worth of
frame rail to choose from, which is also a great jack point. Of course, for
stability and safety, I ALWAYS use my Lincoln Jack Stands(rated at a mere 12
tons each!). I like the jack stands which have flat contact base, not like
those u-shaped contact points many other companies have. Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6