RE: Governor's on 4.7L? Now Emissions Rant

From: Jay Duncan (jrduncan@iupui.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 16:42:53 EST

Long time lurker-first time poster. Love the list. Please don't take this
as a flame, it's just that I feel like I have to defend a whole bunch of
hobbyists here.

The problem with getting all the "20-year-old black smoke spewing
piece of junk" cars off the road is that any law written to accomplish
that goal would punish all of us classic car enthusiasts. Would even a
perfectly restored and tuned Hemi Roadrunner or tri-power GTO pass any
kind of modern emissions test. Hell no. Should they be crushed so more
people can drive 8mpg Lincoln Navigators to Ye'Olde Country Club? I say
hell no again.

That's the problem with crusher legislation. I think most people would
agree with me that the classics shouldn't be killed. The problem is that
there's no way to distinguish between that Hemi Roadrunner that might get
driven 1,000 miles a year to and from shows and a four-door 76 Delta 88
with a 200,000 mile 455 running (sort of) on three cylinders dragging two
teeagers to a Kiss concert. Also, there are many people who are not in a
position to replace their old gross polluters with new clean machines.
Ticket them for being poor? That doesn't seem like a solution to me. In
the long term, the unmaintained gross polluters will go away on their own
without forcing those of us who love and maintain our rolling pieces of
historical art to give them up.

Thanks for reading,
Jay Duncan
99 Dakota RT RC
83 ElCamino Drag Car
70 Pontiac LeMans Gross Polluter
66 Pontiac Grand Prix Really Gross Polluter

<snip>