Re: Tow hook install (was:recommendations on MOPAR)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 1999 - 17:22:21 EST

> Sounds stupid to me, but it's probably true. The tow hook assembly has a
> crossmember that would block a direct hook-up to the frame crossmember
>(where I assume a brush guard would be bolted on). Why they wouldn't >make
a brush guard for tow hook equipped rigs is beyond me... It would be
>fairly easy to fab a mount for the guard that would tap into the tow hook
>crossmember. It would be plenty strong.
>
> Kind of sucks 'cause I was thinking about a brush guard myself. I'm the
> opposite though, I want/use the hooks more than I want the guard.

I have a Grill/Brush Guard on my Dak. However, Mopar doesnt make a factory
bolt on tow hook kit, so I have been making my own over the past couple of
weeks. I am using 1/4" Flat steel plate and 1/4" 90 degree angle stock for
brackets and for reinforment of the front frame horn. Grade 8 hardware all
around also. As far as tow hooks goes, I am going to use either tow hooks
for a 94 2500 Chevy 4x4 or hooks from an 85 Blazer 4x4. Either way, it will
be a very stout setup. By the way......yes I did double coat all four tow
hooks in Liquid Electrical Tape as I did with my hitch's tow ring/bar. If
you want some hooks and you have a Grill/Brush Guard, there are plenty of
ways to fab. up your own kit, plus it is cheap. For all the steel, bolts,
and the 4 tow hooks I have only spent $40.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6