Re: Re: I need help! rounded off bolt

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 15:18:25 EST

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Bob Tom wrote:

> At 06:33 PM 12/31/99 EST, you wrote:
> >you guys need to start using anti seise on the threads. i buy
> >them by the big cans and use them on everything Rob
>
> Yup. Stripped 3 bolts on 2 visits to the track while putting
> on drag radials. Anti-seize and changing the 'awful' stock lug
> nuts to stainless steel McGard nuts solved the problem.

   I've stripped a couple of wheel studs too. Maybe I'll look into
those McGard lug nuts. I figured it was crappy studs, I didn't
think of the nuts. Regarding anti-sieze on lug nuts: I've heard
that you shouldn't do that because it lubricates the stud and nut
and will throw off your torque values. (i.e. the torque wrench says
100lb-ft, but maybe you're "really" torquing them down to 120...) ???

   Speaking of removing a rounded off bolt... I've never done this
myself, but I've heard of people who will drill a hole in the top of
the bolt, tap it with a reverse thread, then stick a reverse threaded
bolt of the proper size in it and tighten the bolt. When it bottoms
out, since it is reverse threaded, it will start to loosen the original
bolt.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |