Re: Maintenance Required light in 91 Dakota

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 18:40:23 EST

At 05:11 PM 1/2/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, I am new on the DML. I have a 91 5.2 Dakota with 100,000 miles
>on it. Someone please tell me how to reset or disconnect the
>Maintenance Required light without going to the dealer. This light
>comes on whenever major service intervals are due, i.e., 30k, 60k, 90k.
>Dealer requires you to bring it in for full service before they will
>hook up their computer to it and reset the light. After warranty was
>up, I began taking my Dakota to a garage for the maintenance services to
>save money. The only problem is they don't have the equipment to reset
>the Maintenance Required light. <snip>

I don't know where you're located but I would try any of the garages
and ask if they reset it. Fortunately for me, the garage that I used
had the equipment and reset it on my since-sold '89 Caravan.

The other alternative is if you know someone with scanning tool
(SunPro, Autoxray, etc.) with the generic Chrysler module (should
cover your year) and reset it that way.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.