Maintenance Required light in 91 Dakota

From: James Maw (mailman@new-quest.net)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 17:11:47 EST

Hello, I am new on the DML. I have a 91 5.2 Dakota with 100,000 miles
on it. Someone please tell me how to reset or disconnect the
Maintenance Required light without going to the dealer. This light
comes on whenever major service intervals are due, i.e., 30k, 60k, 90k.
Dealer requires you to bring it in for full service before they will
hook up their computer to it and reset the light. After warranty was
up, I began taking my Dakota to a garage for the maintenance services to
save money. The only problem is they don't have the equipment to reset
the Maintenance Required light. For the past 60k I have just put a
piece of black tape over the light and forgot about it, but I'm going to
sell it now and would like to get rid of the light. I just had the 90k
service done, so I don't want to pay for it again at the Dodge dealer
(big bucks!) just to get the light reset. Please give me some guidance
on resetting or disconnecting this light.

Mailman