Re: Couple of Questions from a Neon Owner (Kind of Long)

From: Nate Johnson (natedak2k@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 12:34:06 EST

>First of all, is the 4X4 worth the extra money, since
>I live in Indiana a our winters are not too bad and I
>do not plan on off-roading much other then the
>occational job site visit?

If your not gonna take her off road (EVER), and you never encounter packed
snow or ice I wouldn't get the 4X4. It would just be extra weight and
cost. Personally I've found the 4X to be very handy on even a light
amount of snow! The rear end tends to slip VERY easily and it's nice to
be able to pop it into 4X for a second to get up that snow packed driveway
or whatever! Plus you never know when you'll get a wild hair and wanna go
do a little wheelin! My recommendation - Get the 4X4. If you must get
the 4X2 at least get the Limited Slip Differential (LSD) It makes a big
difference!

>Second, since I will probably get a 4X2, is there a
>specific model that is better overall then others? I
>mean is the sport better then another model.

The only real diff. between the sport and SLT is some exterior looks
stuff (chrome on the SLT Vs. painted bumpers and grill on the sport) and a
few of the options are packaged a little differently. When I was pricing
mine I priced both a sport and an SLT with the same options and they we're
within about $100 of each other! It boils down to looks IMHO.
Goto http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/TrimSel/Dodge/Dakota/2000.asp and see
for yourself. There's alot of really good info there.

>Third, I really like the r/t's. Is there any downside
>to getting one. Any problems that I need take in to
>account? (Insurance?)

If your planning on towing your neon with it you won't have the towing
capacity you'll need. The R/T can only tow 2000 Lbs or so.

>Fourth, with all things considered, with engine is the
>best to get for the money? I prefer the V8, but is it
>the best.

I Love My 4.7L 287ci V8! I would take it over the 6 any day.
(No offense intended for the sixer's out there, I have a lot of respect
for you guys!)

>I really appricate your help. I plan on getting my new
>truck this summer or fall and would like to have some
>back ground before I go out and spend ~$20k on a new
>truck.
>Thanks in advance.
>Andy

No problem! If you have more questions feel free to ask!

Nate

=====
Nate, Ogden UT
00 Dakota CC 4X4, LSD, 3.92 Rear, 4.7L/287ci, Po'boy cold air w/ K&N, Forest Green, Extang BlackMax Tonneau
"D2K"