Re: Timing Chain Suprise

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 15:16:27 EST

> A couple weeks ago I ask about replacing my timing set even thought it
> wasn't making any noise. From the replys that came back, I decided to
> change it. When I pulled the cover off and checked the slack, what a
> suprise I received. With just over 50Kmi., the chain had stretched so
much,
> it allowed about 5/8" play. I wouldn't have thought it had stretched like
> that, especially without making any audible indication. Thanks to
everyone
> who replied. The Mopar double roller set I installed will hopefully run a
> lot longer

Rich,
How hard was it to replace them chain/sprockets/gaskets/seals on the entire
job? I know all the parts are around $120, fairly cheap. Paying a garage to
do the job, and adjsut the timing, is the expensive part, this is why I am
contemplating doing it myself and also learning alot doing so. My Dak has
116,000 miles on it and I want to do it soon, just not sure if I should try
to do it yet.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6