RE: Re: Timing Chain Suprise

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 17:40:50 EST

Kyle,
It isn't that difficult, just time consuming. The worst thing about doing
this for the first time is always running into needing a tool you don't yet
own. If you are just replacing the chain and gear set, you won't need to
readjust your timing. Take note of where the crank and cam keys are, and
just slide off the old set and slide on the new ones. Or you could bring
your #1 piston up to TDC (top dead center), and change then the same way.
This lines up your timing marks in a straight vertical line.
The tricky part is not messing up your oil pan seal. They had RTV gooped in
the corners of my seal and I couldn't get the timing cover loose without
messing it up. That was a mistake. Now I have drop the exhaust, jack up
the block in order to remove the oil pan and replace the seal. To top it
off, a nice Fel-Pro oil pan seal cost $30! Can't imaging what the dealer
wants for one. Oh well, it was leaking a little in the back anyway. Of
course my truck is still under warranty and I could have had the dealer
replace it, but not now since I messed it up myself.
I still have the water pump and timing cover off. I'm cleaning everything
up and painting the covers before I reinstall them. If you think of any
more questions, just give a hollar.
Rich