Re: RE: Re: Timing Chain Suprise

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 18:42:11 EST

>Kyle,
> It isn't that difficult, just time consuming. The worst thing about doing
> this for the first time is always running into needing a tool you don't
yet
> own. If you are just replacing the chain and gear set, you won't need to
> readjust your timing. Take note of where the crank and cam keys are, and
> just slide off the old set and slide on the new ones. Or you could bring
> your #1 piston up to TDC (top dead center), and change then the same way.
> This lines up your timing marks in a straight vertical line.
> The tricky part is not messing up your oil pan seal. They had RTV gooped
in
> the corners of my seal and I couldn't get the timing cover loose without
> messing it up. That was a mistake. Now I have drop the exhaust, jack up
> the block in order to remove the oil pan and replace the seal. To top it
> off, a nice Fel-Pro oil pan seal cost $30! Can't imaging what the dealer
> wants for one. Oh well, it was leaking a little in the back anyway. Of
> course my truck is still under warranty and I could have had the dealer
> replace it, but not now since I messed it up myself.
> I still have the water pump and timing cover off. I'm cleaning everything
> up and painting the covers before I reinstall them. If you think of any
> more questions, just give a hollar.

Rich,
Well the tools are definately not a problem here, as I have access to around
$20,000 worth of Snap-On/Craftsman Tools and full air compressor tools and
equipment. Thanks for the tip though on the timing, as I wasnt sure I wanted
to mess around with it. I am afraid to see how much slack my timing chain
will have once I do it, if yours had that much and mine has over 116,000
miles. I might just do the job myself and save the $350-$400 most shops want
just for labor if I bring in the parts. So far, I will be needing a Timing
Chain/Sprocket Package, Timing Chain Case Gasket, Water Pump Gasket, Front
Case Seal Package, Tming Chain Tensioner, Gasket-Engine,Colant, 4 Quarts of
Oil, Oil Filter. Are you going to change you oil as part of the timing chain
replacement? I was told this step is a must just to ensure nothing felling
down into the pan, like metal flakes, or any other harmful contaminants.
Like I said, overall the parts are really cheap. Anything else really? I
called around and got all the items above down to about $120. Any idea on
how much time it took you to do this job from start to finish, minus the
painting stuff you are doing? Thanks!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6