RE: Breaking a Wheel Stud

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 17:51:47 EST

Tom,
It can happen once in a while, but it is not normal. More likely happened
from stretching the bolts/threads from repeated air wrenching. Quite
possible the bolt cross-threaded, then they broke it off with the air
wrench. It usually isn't cheap to have them replaced either.
Whenever I have my tires rotated at a shop, I specify using a torque wrench
set to 90ft./lbs. I watch them also to make sure they comply. I even take
my torque wrench along when I get the truck inspected. It only takes one
time to have your bolts messed up. Good-luck.
Rich - Ashburn, VA