Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Timing Chain Suprise

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 20:01:38 EST

> Kyle,
> Sounds like you are the man for tools, wow!!! I don't work real fast, and
> it didn't help being the first time I ever did this. I was definetly
> breaking new ground here, so if you take out the time I spent figuring out
> how and what I was doing (only part of the time), I would say figure a
good
> week. If you know what your doing going in, you'll do better. This is
for
> changing the cam, springs & retainers, rockers & pushrods, and an M1
intake.
> I'm not finished yet. I ran into a clearance problem with the Mopar
roller
> rockers. Looks like they are going up for sale. Going to have to order a
> different set to work with my springs and retainers.
> You mentioned a new chain tensioner. My 318 doesn't have one. Is this a
V6
> special item? Just curious. As far as the oil change goes. My manual
> mentions using a crankcase conditioner for at least 500mi. I'm going to
> dump my Mobil-1 back in and probably this conditioner if I can find it.
> After running the 500mi. figure, I'll change it to get rid of any gasket
> crud that may have snuck in from scraping off the old gaskets and to
> definetly get rid of any burr or filing debris. It is definetly a
learning
> experience. Let us know how you make out when you do it.
> Rich
> P.S. If you find you have "to many tools" let me know, I'll send you my
> address. :'B

Well my girlfriend's brother used to be work on cars alot(ASE Tech) and also
worked for Sears Hardware stores, so he has, believe it or not, every type
of Craftsman tool out there, and I mean every kind including jacks, jack
stands, ramps, specialty Sears diagnostic tools, air tools, 3-80
gal.compressors, just everythin; it is trueluy amazing. His tool boxes, all
4 of them(5 feet tall) are SnapOn and he also has some assorted SnapOn
tools......sorry bud but I am trying myself to get some tools from him,
hahaha~!! The timing chain tensioner is an upgrade to help reduce timing
chain 'slapping' noise which is a common problem with our V6ers, so I guess
I will go ahead a get the 'new model' chain tensioner when I do mine. I was
hoping for like a 5 hour timing chain job here.....what the heck are you
doing that it has taken a week!!! Holy moses a week????
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6