RE: RE: Re: Timing Chain Suprise

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 10:33:19 EST

Dester,
Here's where it got messy. Check your manual. Besides removing the front
two bolts, you also need to loosen all the remainin bolts. If you can get
the cover off without doing this, you'll be better off. They had mine
RTV'ed in, and I couldn't get the cover to break free. I wound up tearing
the oil pan seal. Now I have to replace it. Be very careful with this
gasket, especially if it isn't leaking anywhere.
Shoot, once you get the timing cover off, the cam and rockers are right
there. That's what made up my mind to do them. I figured since I was going
to have the engine apart anyway, I'd be foolish not to do them since I was
considering them anyway.
I've decided not to try and machine the Mopar rockers. I will definetly be
selling them. Both you and Ted have mentioned an interest in them, but have
not received a commitment yet, so they are still available. Let me know.
Oh yes, almost forgot. DRAIN THE COOLANT BEFORE YOU TAKE OFF THE COVERS OR
THE INTAKE!!! There are two big water jacket passages that pass through the
timing cover to the water pump. After you drain the radiator, pull the
drain plugs on the block also. There are also water passages through the
front and rear of the intake. You really don't want all that coolant in
your oil pan. :'B Let me know if I can help you in any way. It's easy
looking backwards! Talk to you later.
Rich - Ashburn, VA