Re: Re: 4.7 SLT outruns the R/T 5.9

From: Frank Johnson (frankwjohnson@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 13:54:16 EST

>Considering the Chrysler's been making the 360 and 318 for about 30 or more
>years now, I seriously doubt that they're will be a shortage of performance
>parts for it.
----I was waiting for you to bite on that comment. :)
But actually, don't ya think that aftermarket companies will slowly stop
producing performance parts for engines that are no longer being produced?
Obviously this won't be in a year or 2, more like 10-15 years i figure. But
by then i would have gotten rid of my 4.7 anyways so i'll drop this
discussion.

And the additional 1.2 liters can produce torque that an
>equally-modded 4.7 never will be able to muster. 345 lb-ft vs. 295 lb-ft
>stock is an obvious difference right there.
----Yeah, torque is pretty great for those older engines, and i always check
that stat when i'm looking at a vehicle's specs. But the general uneducated
public doesn't care about torque ratings and i often have trouble finding
the figure. Horsepower is always listed, not always torque though. O
well...

The 4.7 does make it's power more
>efficiently though, but that's progress, right??
----Ya, it's supposed to be a little better on gas than the 318, but on
mine, i average like 13 mpg in the city, it's killin me man, especially
living in Canada where gas prices equal around $2.50/gallon.

Remember the 1990 Chevy
>454SS?? That thing put out like 190HP or some rediculous number. But
>torque....let's just pull some houses off the foundation!!
----Actually i don't remember, quite frankly i was never that interested in
GM products, and i'm still not. And the 454 always seemed like an engine
that would just suck down gas almost as fast as you could fill it up.

>But if I was looking for a daily driver that I was going to leave
>relatively
>stock, I would choose the 4.7.
----That's exactly what i figured, and why i went with the 4.7, it's got
more than enough power for what i need it for: occasional towing, loads to
the dump every month or so, moving my friends out of their parent's places,
and the most important use--getting very very muddy!!! hehehe

Frank WJ