Re: Re: the gibson saga- question at end

From: Cal Hyer (clhyer@hom.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 00:27:06 EST

Flip, do you have some Yankee blood in you? That old coathanger has been a
lot of things to Yankee frugality and Yankee ingenuity...
As you already know, you shouldn't have cut the rubber hangers! These allow
for some flexibility between the exhaust system and the truck body. If it
did not have some flex in there, whenever you hit a bump or drove over a
mound (like a curb) or through a dip the pipe would have to bend someplace -
either at the engine or at a built in joint to avoid damage. Your
driveshaft has a similar give & take.
In any event, the dealer should have the OEM part. Any parts store would
have a universal type of hanger. Just be sure to take a good look at what
you are replacing so that if you look at the universal type you can envision
how it attaches and what you will need to do to do the replacement.
Good Luck. Cal & James Hyer