Hyd. Vs. Electronic Tranny was Re: RE: 727 vs 904 (trannies)

From: V8dakLECC@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 11:42:12 EST

You can still adjust the shift points/firmness with a shift kit in the 46RE,
because the shifts and valve body are still hydraulic. This option would
seemingly provide the most dramatic changes in shift characteristics and
allow tailoring of the shift characteristics of the individual gears. The
computer can simply measure and manipulate the line pressure from the
throttle valve which allows it to indirectly manipulate the shift firmness
and shift points (the effect would be similar to the TV cable adjustment that
some are doing on the 46RH, but without the side effects), but the modulation
of the line pressure can only control the shift firmness/shift points within
the limits of the hydraulic circuits.

Again, I have no inside knowledge of this transmission, and most of the above
information is my theory/opinion based on what I've heard/read about this
transmission.

BTW, the is the trannie mated to the 4.7L a new one? If so, I bet is has an
all solenoid computer controlled valve body.

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Auto