Re: Re: Re: Pitman Arm 101

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 18:25:42 EST

Ok, I need some more help with this pitman arm, basically on removal and
installation(which I would assume is just opposite of removal). When putting
the new arm on, I just have to make sure the steering wheel and tires are
centered, no big deal here. I just cannot seem to grasp the concept of
removing it. I must have stared at this thing for 30 minutes yesterday
figuring out how to in prep for actually doing it. I see where the arm is
connected to the cross rod, which a cotter pin and a nut. I understand I
just need to pull the cotter pin out and take the nut off with a
stocket/ratchet, which seemed to maybe be 1/2 or so. I also understand I may
need one of those pitman arm tools(which I do have), which looks like a 2
pronged 'fork' incase I need to beat it out of the cross rod's hole.
Removing it from the steering pump is where I get dumb. The only thing I can
tell which is holding this pitman arm onto the pump is a large nut, can I
just loosen and take this nut off and the arm will slide off? Where does a
2arm gear puller come into play?? Do I really need one?? If so, how do these
work??? I have never used one before, but I do own a few. If I do indeed
need to use the gear puller, does the large nut have to come off first and
then I use the puller?? Thanks fellas, I am sure you all as well as myself
will be happy once I get this done!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6