Re[5]: Re: LSD

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 20:23:53 EST

<<Wasn't trying to say anything bad there Tom....>>

I know you weren't, Bernd... No sweat.

<<It's just easier to start with (Numerically Higher) gears. Easiest way to
explain that is this:

Try starting with 2nd gear on a slippery road...then try 1st gear and see
which one causes the wheels to spin. Same theory as with 4.10:1 vs.
3.55:1.>>

Well yeah, but that was my point. In extremely slick conditions (like ice
and snow) the higher numerical (lower gearing) *may* work against you by
breaking the tires free more easily. When I used to drive a stick I would
start out in 2nd gear (and bog the engine somewhat) to get her rolling and
not spin. Getting started in first gear was generally a total loss (spin)
in my old rig when it was snowing out. Keep in mind I'm talking about very
specific conditions (getting moving from a stop in ice & snow) in a 2wd
vehicle.
Tom