Re: LSD

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 13:05:27 EST

At 08:24 AM 1/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Not to dispute you Bob,

Ah, go ahead Jason. You know that I'm senile and forgetful.

>but I've personally never experienced this with
>our '98 V8 4x4 with LSD. I have experienced some fishtailing with the
>'95 V6 4x4 with no LSD. What seems to happen is that one wheel starts
>to spin and loses lateral stability, which makes the whole rear end
>squirrely.

Okay, that makes sense.

>Of course, the '95 is a 5-speed. I'm sometimes less than smooth with
>the clutch if I'm driving quickly. The example that sticks out in my
>mind was a few months ago in the rain. I was accelerating to get on the
>highway, and when I shifted the rear end lost traction and did a bit of
>fishtailing. Maybe it *is* just me :-).

Well, I did follow you back from Carlisle last year (j/k).

What was in my mind when I wrote that was the many times that I've come
out of the touchless car wash and, while making a turn, it did not take
much pedal to make the tail swing out and back the other way again, and
also when making a turn after a stop sign on wet roads ... conditions
very similar and common during the winter ... both rears rotating
equally at the same rate but the inside tire going a lesser distance
and loosing traction at a different rate than the outside one.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.