Re: HD Shackles, Cleavis Hooks, Etc.

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 15:12:45 EST

> Where the heck can I find heavy duty shackles and various size cleavis
> hooks??!! I've been to all the usual places (home depot, tool supply
store,
> etc.) and nobody has got what I'm looking for! I'm in Boston so if
somebody > knows of someplace local lemme know! Otherwise, what mail order
house >would have this kind of stuff (I didn't see anything HD in Northern
Tool)? >Kyle, buddy, where are ya' when I need ya' man? ;-)

Tom,
I am right here Tom, settle down!! Ok, as far a clevis hooks go I currently
have about 10 or so, some which are very large. Total investment, since I
bought all of mine used, is only around $50. I have bought the large
majority of mine from local flea markets, garage sales, and such. I have
also bought 3 of them off Ebay, just search using CLEVIS. There are always
some on Ebay, some good and some just too small. Another place to check out
are towing/recovery supply catalogs. One I have ordered from is called AW
Direct(800-243-3194), you can call them and they will send you a nice
200page full color catalog for free. They sell nice sized chain hooks, tow
straps, and just about anything. Myself, I prefer screw-pin clevis hooks,
but I own both screw pin and round pin with cotter pin. Screw pin clevis
hooks just are more user friendly if I want to remove the pin. Most if the
shackle/clevis hooks I own are rated way over the limit I use them for, but
I like the large capacity for safety reasons also. The largest one I own is
from a 30ton boom crane, which is about 1 1/2" thick all around and weighs
about 15 pounds. Of course, all of mine are coated with liquid electrical
tape. I bet you want a nice shackle to mount on your tow ring you have, eh
Tom?? Shackles do make nice attachment points for quickly hooking up and
connecting straps to the tow ring. I keep 6-7 stored in my tool box at all
times, in a 50MM Ammo Can. I would suggest to also check online
Wrecker/Towing/Recovery supply companies, as they will sell hooks, shackles,
clevis hooks, and just about anything you will ever need. Just remember, get
the hooks, shackles, or whatever you want with a little higher rated
capacity, this way they wont deform or bend, or even worse break under load.
Good luck Tom, let me know if you need any further info. Check out some of
these sites for info:
http://www.slingchoker.com/sling2/index.htm
http://www.feeneywire.com/hardware/shackles.html
http://www.recoverygear.com/