Re: Pinging Problem partially solved

From: George Hernandez (georgeh@ideas.tocquigny.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 00:17:27 EST

Elmer Hanhart wrote:

> Well Sat. night George Hernandez, myself, and one of my buddies w/ an Indy Ram
> were comparing our driving skills and as I hit the mid-top of 3rd. gear it
> started pinging like crazy.

That was pretty fun. That Ram was quick, and your dak wasn't too shabby either!

> This was on 89 octane.

Hmmm. Could there be a problem with the casting on the heads leading to a higher
compression? Maybe the deck height is off for whatever reason. Do those, whose daks
ping, run unusually strong?I guess it could also be caused by "hot spots" in the
cooling system. A few air pockets in the coolant passages could very well lead to
such conditions. Maybe a good bleeding of the cooling system?

> While I 'm here, the 2000 R/T's DEFINETLY run better than the previous years. I
> have beaten three fairly stock R/T's (98-99), and George's truck was running way
> better than any of those. All he has is a cone filter and he was inching up on
> me(had to back off in third because of that lovely ping sound). How about next
> Sat. (w/ some 93 in the tank) George?

No problem I'm ready whenever :). You missed the killing of a Chevy Extreme S-10. We
went off the line twice and from a roll several times. Poor guy never stood a
chance:) Made me feel bad for having 2 extra cylinders and a few extra cubic
inches.

I just installed a 180 degree thermo today and it seemed to help a bit, especially
after I've been driving around town. Tommorow I'm going to order the Walker 3"
exhaust pipe and run my "free(cost me a Diet Coke)" dynomax bullet style
race-muffler. With the cat I hope it won't be too loud. I may take some of the day
off on Friday and install my Hooker Super Comps too. I might actually get an
exhaust shop to do the welding as I torched my fingers today welding up a "gasket
scraper" from a rod and razorblade. Take note: should have held the rod w/ pliers:(

I look forward to seeing all the DML people again next week:) Hopefully my R/T wil
be a little more interesting next week.

-George