Re: Pinging Solved... at least for my truck. Long now...

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 15:35:55 EST

At 02:25 PM 1/18/00 EST, you wrote:
>Either they have an air mass sensor...

The EFI system on the Dakota is a MAP(manifold absolute pressure)-based
system not a MAF(mass air flow)-based system.

> <snip>
>If we don't have an air mass sensor, then the computer runs "blindly"
>according to a set volume of air that *should* be getting into each
>cylinder. This would leave all the more room to screw up and run lean or
>rich as the case may be.

In its most concise description, a MAP-based system (commonly called
a speed density EFI system) uses the MAP sensor to measure manifold vacuum.
This 'measurement' is sent to the computer where it is used along with inputs
from other sensors) calculates engine load and airflow. Once airflow is
calculated, the appropriate amounts of fuel and spark advance are applied.
I am, in no way, debating the merits/drawbacks of either system with this
description.

> <snip>
>I may be wrong, but honestly, it worked for me, and it is cheap to try. At
>the very least, I guarantee better air flow.

We're glad to hear that you solved your pinging problem and how it was done.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.